Saturday, October 6, 2012

Sweet curry Hanukkah pie...

In an effort to share American culture (we have culture?!?!?!) with my new Aussie friends, I took a pumpkin pie from Costco to share with them.  Ooooohhhh my.
 
 
Firstly they couldn't remember the holiday associated with pumpkin pie, with my awesomely funny boss referring to it as "Sweet curry Hanukkah pie."  Apparently to someone who didn't grow up eating it, pumpkin pie tastes a lot like a sweet curry.
 
 
 
Then there was the issue that they actually EAT pumpkin on a daily basis here.  So there were expectations of a savory dish, and they got sweet. 
 
It was very funny to see their reactions to such a classic American holiday dish.  But as I've been made to eat Vegemite on a number of different occasions,  I didn't mind making them eat "Sweet curry Hanukkah pie."  I think they got a better food to try.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. lol! funny post- i came here by way of a google search for 'blue pumpkin images' trying to name the pumpkins we found discarded on the street here in new orleans. i think 'australian blue' is as good a name as any. there are others like 'queensland blue' and 'blue crown' which seem to fit, but they're all pretty much from australia/new zealand, so we're gonna go with the general term australian blue. thanks for posting; really enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carey!
    Thanks for stopping by, glad you liked my silly little blog. Yes, they are lovely to look at and good to eat but please don't try to carve one! It's super hard!
    Have a great day!
    Mel

    ReplyDelete